Thomas and E have already told us that Dakar is the capital city of Senegal and is right on the westernmost tip of Africa, but did you know that this means it is the last place in Africa to see the sun rise or set?
Thomas was over seven months old when he first saw rain! He was born in Dakar at the start of the dry season, and it only rains July-October. E was born in England, so she didn’t even need to wait seven hours for her first rain shower!
The picture below is Lac Rose. Like the Dead Sea, Lac Rose is very salty so you float easily in it. The water looks a bit pink as it is full of algae that love the salty conditions. Isn’t it amazing that God created a home for every living thing?!
True or false? You can eat/drink three of the four things pictured below…
- 1 is E’s favourite fruit – bouye, or monkey bread fruit.
- 2 is a hibiscus flower. Thomas and E love to drink bissap which is made by soaking hibiscus flowers in water.
- 3 is Thomas’ favourite meal, yassa poulet, a chicken dish with onion sauce and rice.
- 4 is the odd one out. These are tamtam drums, another of E’s favourites that can be heard played across Senegal.
As you pray for Thomas and E this month to know how best to help the children around them, pray for the families in your community that do not have the money that they need for food. Ask God to show you how you can be his hands and feet on earth, showing the love of Jesus to those around you.
Is Jesus asking you to
- help a friend at school?
- give some of your pocket money to help someone else?
- make a donation to your local foodbank?
- or something else?